Tuesday 27 April 2010

Wardrobe Inventory

So I know that many clever Me-Made-Mayers have already taken the step to make an inventory of their Me-Mades in anticipation of the challenge. Wise indeed to undertake such a task, as it also gives you the ability to judge easier where your sewing efforts should be applied on the run-up to May 1st (and beyond). I guess I felt an inventory for Me-Made-May wasn't necessary as I survived Me-Made-March with only handmade clothes. You may recall from my bitchin’ and moanin’ during March, that my collection of handmade items is not exactly flooded with warm garments, subsequently I was confident I had enough clothes for May, and could focus on making more pizzazz rather than just sewing to bulk up the numbers. So it didn't really cross my mind to make an inventory. Then I saw ­­­Quixotic Pixels' photo, the first in the Me-Made-May Flickr Group’s photostream to be exact, and I changed my mind. Look at it! It’s such a beautiful, vibrant and colourful selection of lovely clothes. I couldn’t resist seeing what my Me-Mades would look like altogether.

I’ve been stitching away pretty solidly for the last year since I got my sewing machine and overlocker sent over from the UK, creating various different garments here and there and then cramming them onto my clothing rail where I can find the space. But I’ve never taken a look at these items together, away from my thrifted and shop-bought (in the pre-WR days, of course) garments. You know what my handmade clothing looks like all together? (This may not come as a surprise to you but it did to me:) A Wardrobe! Can you believe it?! I’ve made a whole wardrobe! An entirely impractical wardrobe for a year containing cool/cold seasons, but a wardrobe nevertheless.

Add to this lot about another two-thirds of non-me-made, and you’d be correct in thinking that’s a lot of clothes! Can you believe I arrived in Spain less than two years ago with one small suitcase and a carry-on bag?! I don’t want to think about getting it all back to UK in August. (Fingers in ears, la la laaaaaaaaa.)

So I got out most of the clothes I've made, excluding the things I don't think I'll wear in May, and hung them on the spare rail in our hall (don't ask why there's a spare rail in our hall, I can't tell you). So, it goes a little something like this:
  • 1 Coat
  • 2 Jackets
  • 3 A-line skirts
  • 5 Pencil/straight skirts
  • 2 Pairs of trousers
  • 1 Pair of shorts
  • 5 Tunics/loose tops
  • 4 Blouses/fitted tops
  • 5 Stretch tops/T-shirts
  • 1 Jumper dress
  • 1 Cardigan
  • 2 Day dresses
  • 5 Going-out dresses
Is it wrong to still feel some days like I have nothing to wear? I certainly often feel that nothing goes right with each other. Plus some of these things I wear very often, and some are lonely orphans. My aim, much like many other Me-Made-Mayers but all accounts, it to create workable outfits from my separates, and to find ways to bring the orphans into the fold. But I have to be honest, I always seem to think that the next creation I make will somehow magically bring everything together and make it a whole and complete wardrobe. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't let go of that assumption somehow! I'm about to make a pair of wide-leg high-waisted trousers and a pair of capri pants (see the fabric in my previous post) and I know that they are going to do just that!

10 comments:

Len said...

Wow! I think you're all set for Me-Made-May really :) and I hear you on the dragging your stuff back to the UK front - end of May for me ARGHH. Decided I'll donate most of my clothes to the only Oxfam in Dortmund because they get so excited whenever I buy anything from there, I think they might explode when I bring some clothes to them! Sadly can't join in on Me-Made-March, sewing has been lacking on the finishing things front, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results :) perhaps next time!

Kat said...

um wow! I was going to take an inventory photo but now I am not sure if I want to. I have no where near as much stuff as you guys. I have 7 skirts and 3 dresses (one of which is super dressy and probably won't be worn). I have one more skirt in the works. I really want to make some blouses too during May. Hopefully that will happen. I need them!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Your wardrobe looks great!
I've thought of doing this, but I fear my "wardrobe" will just be a mish-mosh of patterned dresses... I have very few separates or solid-colored stuff... It looks like I might have a very colorful May, or I need to get sewing!

Stacy said...

I took stock of my me-made wardrobe the other day in preparation for M-M-M and I was actually surprised at just how much I have. With all that, plus a few projects I have in the works for the next few weeks, maybe I will be able to do the non-lite version after all!

Uta said...

You've inspired me to pass on the "Premio Amigo Artesano" Award to you! Please visit my blog: http://el-little.blogspot.com/2010/04/award.html (if you have time with all the Me-Made-May-madness, haha!)

Jodi Wade said...

I really need to do this too, take stock of what I've got. I'm a little bit scared though because I know that most of the clothes I have made don't really go together.... I'm hoping for a very warm May so I can get away with mainly dresses :)

Barbara said...

Since I've put the most of my clothes into giveaway bags - there is not too much left on the shelves. I need to make most of the clothes for MMM!!! But then, that's the challenge. Let's see what I can do in three days to get ready. Only three days to go?! Weee!!!

SEW RED HOT said...

The inventory was scary for me as I've only recently been dressmaking, having made mostly kids clothes and handbags, quilts, etc.
But I've started and now you won't be able to stop me!
I too shall have a wardrobe like Zoe one day.

naughty little pony said...

STUN-NING!
It is so nice seeing them all together like that. What an achievement, it really is inspiring. You keep me from giving up trying when it comes to making clothes!
xx

Ally said...

I LOVE your tunic loose tops (and all your other clothes as well)! I've got the sowing bug and have mastered my first skirt done with a proper pattern (proudly holding my head up high!)... do you have a pattern for these shirts? Can you point me to the right direction for them? Also, what fabrics did you use? Some of them look like they are some sort of silk...

They look really lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...